In 1840 Becket’s town center shifted from Becket Center to North Becket Village as the Western Railroad expanded from Springfield to Albany, bringing development to the Village. Becket’s railroad stations were built on Depot Street, the first in 1842. The last station closed in 1952. The original sign is at Ballou Memorial Park. The train station was destroyed in the flood of 1927 then torn down. Depot Street is also the original Pontoosuc Turnpike.
More info can be found at townofbecket.org Courtesy Becket Historical Society.
hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #becketma #hilltownhistory #intheberkshires #visitthehills