Colebrook River Lake was created beginning in 1945, the Metropolitan District Commission which provides water to the Hartford area started purchasing land, wiping out the village of Colebrook River at a narrow gorge called “the hogback”. It eliminated the population of Eastern Colebrook. Buildings were sold and material salvaged including the Methodist Church, cemeteries were moved. The people aggressively fought the hogback but it passed the house in 1949. The dam was completed in 1969 at a cost of 14 400,000.00. Yes, 14.4 million. At very low water times, the village once again sees the sunlight, the stone lined roads, including the Harvey Mountain Bridge appear and hikers can walk Old Route 8 from Sandisfield about 2.5 miles each way. Low water photos courtesy of Tom Hoffman.

hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #discoverthehilltowns #visitthehills #hilltownhistory #flashhike #intheberkshires #nature #adventure #history #hiking #outdooradventures

Visit our blog for all of our adventures! We are on Instagram TikTok Pinterest Twitter YouTube Meetup @hilltownhikers
A 501c3 Massachusetts Non-Profit Organization Donate here on Square