One of the longest wooden bridges in Berkshire County was in Sandisfield on the Farmington River in Sandisfield. Some say it just had high wooden walls. The wooden span was replaced with a metal truss arch-style bridge circa 1927. Located on “old Route 8,” the iron bridge was bypassed in the 1960s when a new section of Route 8 was blasted through the mountainside overlooking the Colebrook River, Connecticut, then photo courtesy of Jim Moore.A new bridge was built over the Farmington River adjacent to Hanging Mountain. Hikers can park just after the truss bridge and hike in on Old Route 8 as far as the water line.
hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #discoverthehilltowns #visitthehills #hilltownhistory #flashhike #intheberkshires #nature #adventure #history #hiking #outdooradventures
Visit our blog for all of our adventures! We are on Instagram TikTok Pinterest Twitter YouTube Meetup @hilltownhikers www.hilltownhikers.com
A 501c3 Massachusetts Non-Profit Organization Donate here on Square https://hilltownhikers.square.site/