Foundation of the Avery home owned by Deacon William Avery and his descendants from 1782 until 1853, and apparently never lived in by another family. Deacon Avery, of Dedham, MA, bought Original Proprietor Lots 50 & 51, totalling 300 acres, in 1782. In 1853 William’s grand son Deacon Joseph Avery (“noted for his unostentatious benevolence and piety, for showing his faith by his works”) sold the home and the remainder of the land to David Crittenden (son of Medad & Mary Boyden Crittenden), who moved to Maple Street, rather than to the farm, until his death in 1866, after which the property was sold to John B. Packard by David’s son George Crittenden.
Flash Hike Saturday at Conway State Forest. Paulette showed us the trails here, grab the guide from www.townofconway.com to visit the landmarks. Trails are not blazed, these are the old roads where the town center once stood. Also, no cell service so download and print your maps! Easy hiking on rolling hills in a beautiful forest with some old growth trees. Conway State Forest is a woodland DCR State Forest.
hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #discoverthehilltowns #visitthehills #hilltownhistory #flashhike #intheberkshires #nature #adventure #history #hiking #outdooradventures
Visit our blog for all of our adventures! We are on Instagram TikTok Pinterest Twitter YouTube Meetup @hilltownhikers www.hilltownhikers.com
A 501c3 Massachusetts Non-Profit Organization Donate here on Square https://hilltownhikers.square.site/
Leave a Reply