The Chester Mica Mine and Quarry. Its not all emery they mined for in town. We have visited to date 14 different mining operations in Chester. This site was originally worked in the 1800s for feldspar, leaving the open cut or quarry as a result. The site was worked again during the 1940s for mica by the Chester Granite Co., which sunk the shaft. (Credit Valley Geology)

From the October 28, 1886 edition of The Pittsfield Sun: “Alfred Keeler has leased his feldspar and quartz ledges to Alfred D. Fuller for the term of one year and quarrying will begin at once. The material is marketed at the Chester mica and porcelain company of which James H. Simon is now proprietor.” #chesterma

hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #discoverthehilltowns #visitthehills #hilltownhistory #flashhike #intheberkshires #nature #adventure #history #hiking #outdooradventures

Visit our blog for all of our adventures! We are on Instagram TikTok Pinterest Twitter YouTube Meetup @hilltownhikers
A 501c3 Massachusetts Non-Profit Organization