In 1820 two new mills opened south of the North Becket Village near McNerney Road. The area was named Dish Hollow for the mills which turned wooden bowls. Soon two more mills, making wooden chairs, also opened in the area. This is the CE Lyman Sawmill, maker of wooden coat hangers, it was located near McNerney Road and the North School House. It was washed away in the 1927 flood. Stone remains of a mill foundation are still visible today along rte. 8.
More info can be found at townofbecket.org Courtesy Becket Historical Society.
hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #becketma #intheberkshires #hilltownhistory #intheberkshires #visitthehills