The North Becket Historic District. Ballou Dam (1927) Originally built in the 1800s for mill power, the 60-foot long, 14-foot high dam was reconstructed in 1927 after the dam was washed away during the flood. When it was rebuilt it provided water power to a basket factory located on Maple Street until the mid-1960’s.
Yokum Brook Restoration Project (2003-2006) The Ballou Dam was removed to restore the natural flow of Yokum Brook into the West Branch of the Westfield River. The West Branch is the longest free-flowing river area in Massachusetts. The students of the Becket-Washington School raised Atlantic salmon and trout to be released into the brook to help restore the fish population. Courtesy of. The Becket Historical Society learn more at townofbecket.org
hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #becketma #hilltownhistory #intheberkshires #visitthehills