THE HISTORY

THE SPRINGFIELD UNION  •  SUNDAY, MAY 2, 1915  •  PAGE 10

UNUSUAL HISTORY OF WESTFIELD’S PUBLIC PARK IN RUSSELL
Town Forgot Ownership for Two Hundred Years and Then Paid for It Second Time

1. The Natural Wonder & Geographical Location
CONSIDERING what honest pride citizens take in their public parks, it seems strange that the town size of Westfield possesses a park, which for natural beauty, is considered one of the best in the country, and yet half of its residents do not know that it is town-owned. More surprising is the fact that for more than 200 years the town forgot it owned the property, and, rather than lose its title over it, paid for it a second time. Furthermore, and strangest of all, the park is not in Westfield at all, but in the adjoining town of Russell.
Hosmer’s Park, the name by which this 50-acre tract is officially designated, is a tract of 32 acres situated directly across the Westfield River from Mt. Tekoa, and exactly four miles west of the center of Westfield on the main road to Albany. The park embraces both sides of Mountain Brook, which, from Mt. Tekoa, guards the main gateway into the Berkshire Hills and from the summit of which may be seen the entire Westfield valley.
The park has a frontage of exactly a mile along the Springfield and Albany highway, and for scenic beauty and comparatively shadow it takes the best of the Berkshires, and as a public playground it embraces fragrant and moist woodland streams, pristine pine groves, steep precipitous cliffs, and a tableland at the summit where bushels of all kinds of berries grow in summer. It is by far the most unusual public park in New England, according to hundreds of tourists who come to take more interest in the park than most of Westfield’s natives. Many people who go west in autumn on automobile trips stop to visit the park, explore the flowers, shrubbery, trees, and rocky ledges. According to these visitors, every species of flower, shrub, or tree known to grow in New England except one is found within the borders of the park.
? PARK AT A GLANCE
Hosmer’s Park spans 50 acres along the Westfield River and Mountain Brook in Russell, MA. Despite being owned by the town of Westfield, it sits outside Westfield’s town limits and contains virtually every plant species native to New England.

2. Accessibility, Trolley Line & Picnic Grounds
On Trolley Line.
It adjoins the trolley line between Westfield and Huntington, and from early spring to late autumn the trollies bring hundreds, scores of men, women, and children who have found the park one of the most refreshing breathing spots in this vicinity. They come not only from Westfield, but from Springfield, Holyoke, Russell, Northampton, Easthampton, and even from South Deerfield. Many parties come in automobiles, put up their machinery at an ancient gravel pit at the foot of the hill.
There are two entrances, one at the extreme eastern end, and another at the western end, both leading off the State road. These roads converge after a short slope, which turns into a path leading to the summit where stands a wooden tower, 35 feet high, built on a huge ledge. The path to the summit is extremely picturesque, passing through rows of pine, hemlock, and birch, or winding around huge boulders, and through a wide growth of scrub oak and white birch.
For Picnic Parties.
As a place for picnics, the park has no superior and few equals. There are always many picnic tables available, and large groups of friends may spend the day without interference from anybody else. Some choose the groves near the foot of the hill, where an abundance of the purest water may be had from twin springs, cold as ice. Or they may camp out at the foot of the great, steep ledges. Better still, they may climb to the summit, and from the observatory watch the entire length of the Westfield valley.
View from Top of Tower.
The view from the top of the tower is well worth while. By many the outlook is considered superior to that of Mt. Tom, Mt. Holyoke or Sugar Loaf. One can see into the very heart of the gateway of the Berkshires, and follow the winding course of the Westfield River for many miles. A person traveling along the State road from Westfield to Huntington, through Woronoco and Russell, or along the line of the Boston & Albany railroad, does not realize what a vast, magnificent panorama of the valley is visible from top.
3. Historical Timeline & The 200-Year Forgotten Title
The 1662 Indian Land Purchase:
The history of the park brings to light some strange incidents. Westfield once was the western frontier of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and at the time of its settlement a large tribe of Indians, known as the Woronokes, inhabited the Valley and owned the land. On June 30, 1662, the ‘Proprietors of Westfield’, comprising a small group of men who came from Agawam and Springfield to trade with the Indians and engage in agriculture, made a trade with Chief Alquat of the Woronokes. They purchased approximately several thousand acres of land and paid 46 pounds sterling for it. This huge tract embraced practically all of Westfield, Southwick, Russell and Montgomery and was laid out into the town of Westfield. The entry of this transaction is now on an old document in the Hampden county court house.
The 1750 Quarry Reservation:
In 1750 the officials of Westfield, still known as ‘The Proprietors’, laid out long strips of land in Russell, Montgomery and Southwick, and granted titles of them to private individuals. The town officials, according to record, reserved what now is known as Hosmer’s Park as town property because of the rock quarry. Nearly every one of the ancient houses in Westfield was built on foundations of stone taken from the quarry, and every home builder was his own quarryman. Hundreds of tons of stone were quarried and carried to Westfield for foundations.
Town Loses Property & Repurchases It in 1870:
Unfortunately when the town officials were granting land in 1750 they neglected to take out a deed for the quarry property. Then, as the years rolled by they forgot all about it, and the property came to be considered owned by a family of Sacketts, who lived near by. It passed down from generation to generation until about 1870, when the last of the Sackett family died. When Ashmon Sackett challenged the town’s title, Westfield found itself without a deed on record. Rather than lose the land entirely, the town paid $1,000 to purchase the land a second time and secure a deed!
The Second Forgotten Era & Resurrection by Sheriff Hosmer:
Then, for a second time, the town proceeded to forget its property! It was not until years afterward that it came to light again. Deputy Sheriff William W. Hosmer of Westfield, after whom the park is named, was responsible for its resurrection. Mr. Hosmer about 40 years ago purchased a tract of woodland in Russell adjoining the park. While cutting wood, he searched the Hampden county court house records to find who owned the adjacent lot and discovered Westfield was the owner. He realized its magnificent potential as a public park, waited for the trolley line to be built, and successfully championed its permanent preservation against private sale.
? TIMELINE OF OWNERSHIP
Chronology of Westfield’s Public Park:
• June 30, 1662: Land bought from Chief Alquat of the Woronokes for £46.
• 1750: Town reserves 32-acre stone quarry tract, but fails to file deed.
• 1870: Sackett family claims title; Westfield buys back its own land for $1,000.
• Late 1800s: Town forgets ownership again until Deputy Sheriff William W. Hosmer rediscovers title in court records.
• 1900s: Unanimous town vote establishes Hosmer’s Park; $200 tower constructed by community effort.

4. Tower Construction & Preservation Struggles
Building the Observatory Tower:
Mr. Hosmer, determined to make the most of an opportunity, got the committee together to improve the property so that the public might find it more accessible. The committee raised money by private subscription, $10 each for this purpose. The town was not asked to appropriate any funds. Former Deputy Sheriff Hosmer superintended the work on the track and laid out the location of the road, and also laid out the path to the tower. He gave his services freely. Stonemasons prepared the bed in the stone floor of the tower, and volunteers from across Westfield built the 35-foot wooden structure facing north, south, east, and west.
Protection Against Vandalism & Timber Cutting:
Through the years, Deputy Sheriff Hosmer waged a steady fight to protect the property for the town. On one occasion, a town official set unemployed men to cut down a grove of virgin trees for firewood. Mr. Hosmer immediately intervened and ordered them off the land. Later, after vandalism destroyed the original tower, the town appropriated $200 to build the existing tower. Hosmer and his committee (Messrs. Kneil, Cole, and Price) continue their relentless vigil to preserve this scenic gem for future generations.

WESTFIELD’S PLAYGROUND, HOSMER PARK
Panoramic view at top center showing the expansive Westfield River valley, Mountain Brook gorge, surrounding forests, and rock outcroppings.
GLACIAL ROCK IN HOSMER PARK
Large glacial erratic boulder situated along the wooded trails, a prominent geological feature noted in regional history.
MT. TEKOA FROM SUMMIT OF LITTLE MOUNTAIN
Wide landscape shot capturing Mt. Tekoa across the valley, showing steep cliffs and the gateway to the Berkshire Hills.
LOOKOUT TOWER IN HOSMER PARK
35-foot timber observation tower constructed on a high rock ledge, offering 360-degree views of the Westfield valley.

See all our events, maps, blog and photos at www.hilltownhikers.com please donate, we are 100% funded by you! Join our membership community and take part in our adventures every weekend!  https://westernmasshilltownhikers.com/donate/  venmo @hilltownhikers we are certified and insured mass 501c3 non-profit organization

Western Mass Hilltown Hikers   Visit Massachusetts Visit the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts   #hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #hilltownhistory #hikingwithdogs @topfans