Here is the shoe peg and bedstead facory, you can see the walls off the dam to harness the power of the West Branch. The third manufacturing business to be established in North Chester was a bedstead factory and dam upstream of the Cook cotton mills. Noted on a map of 1855 as a sawmill and linseed mill, it was owned by Elbridge Howe, who manufactured hardwood bedsteads at the site for several decades and ran a sawmill as well. The 1870 atlas indicates the property was in the Howe estate. The New England Business Directory of 1860 lists Howard Cooley in North Chester as a tanner and currier, but the location of his operations is not known.-historic North Chester

Five years after John Cook took over the Stevenses’ mills and consolidated his property holdings, the railroad came to Chester Factory Village. From its arrival in 1841 can be dated the slow decline of manufacturing in North Chester. Farmers as well as manufacturers now had to transport their goods and supplies by wagon seven miles to the railroad to take advantage of its service and remain in business. Littleville and Dayville were lost forever after the Littleville Dam was built to control flooding. #hikethehilltownhistory #chesterma

hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #discoverthehilltowns #visitthehills #hilltownhistory #flashhike #intheberkshires #nature #adventure #history #hiking #outdooradventures

Visit our blog for all of our adventures! We are on Instagram TikTok Pinterest Twitter YouTube Meetup @hilltownhikers www.hilltownhikers.com
A 501c3 Massachusetts Non-Profit Organization Donate here on Square https://hilltownhikers.square.site/