Hiking old Blandford, the Nye Cellar Holes and Barns.

Haight Road still exists but it once continued past Cochran Pond Northeast towards Chester and Huntington. Russell aquired the land here and took the homes and farmland by eminent domain when they needed to build Black Brook Reservoir as a water source in 1923. Families like Knox, Gould, Bishop and Nye were forced out. They were the original settlers in this part of Blandford also referred to as the Second Division in the late 1700’s. The old road was built well and connected to the old Huntington Road which is the loop we explored. Cellar holes and stone walls from barns and homes still remain. Homer Crosby lost his life on this road when he was thrown from his cart. In addition, the Huckleberry Trolley Line was built through this section, making this area a historical outdoor museum as the forest has reclaimed the land. Thanks to Karen for the historical watershed plan map, a big part of Russell History.

#blandfordma #hikethehilltownhistory
#hikethehilltowns with the #westernmasshilltownhikers #discoverthehilltowns #visitthehills #hilltownhistory #flashhike #intheberkshires #nature #adventure #history #hiking #outdooradventures #visittheberkshires
Visit our blog for all of our adventures! We are on Instagram TikTok Pinterest Twitter YouTube Meetup @hilltownhikers www.hilltownhikers.com
A 501c3 Massachusetts Non-Profit Organization Donate here on Square https://hilltownhikers.square.site/